Sunday, April 26, 2009

Second Week of Spring Break

Sunday, March 29 was Fast Sunday in our ward. Hubby and I were planning on just having a Fast of Thanksgiving. Friday we added comfort for my family. Saturday we added our friend's upcoming heart surgery. So many things to pray and fast for...
.
During sacrament meeting, Anne decided to bear her testimony but, she needed me to accompany her and bear mine as well. Anyone who knows me knows I have a strong testimony. One that I rarely share in sacrament meeting. Anyhoo, Anne was very nervous, so I held her hand while she bore her testimony. It was great to see her share the truths that she knows.
.
.
Monday & Tuesday we spent cleaning the house and playing while Hubby worked.
.
.
Wednesday, April 1 we drove to Mesa. We attended my Grandfather's viewing. Every single one of my aunts and cousins was there. It was great to see them again.

After the viewing, we went to the Arizona Temple grounds to see the Easter Pageant. This year was especially fun! My Dad and two of my sisters were in the Pageant. My sisters were part of the "Multitude". My Dad was the "Head Sadducee". He did not play a very nice guy, especially not to Jesus.
.
.

Anne, Joe & Rose with their Grandpa & Aunts
.
.
Thursday, April 2 was my Grandfather's funeral. As part of the service the grandkids were singing two songs. We met Thursday morning to practice.
.
.
Grandsons singing "Abide With Me"
(my brother is the one in the t-shirt. he came early to help set up chairs and get things ready for the funeral.
he put on his suit after this practice)

.
.
.
Grandkids singing "I Stand All Amazed"
.
.
The funeral itself was nice. During the opening hymn (I Know that My Redeemer Lives) I was fighting back the tears as I thought of my Grandpa and my Savior. The tears were about to spill over when I looked over at Joe who had his hand down his pants. At my shocked look he said: "What Mom? I just gotta adjust my penis." Did I mention that we were sitting in the middle of the chapel, surrounded by greiving family and friends? Well, the tears vanished and now I was trying to fight back laughter. After the funeral we all drove out to the Mesa Cemetary for the burial. Grandpa served in WWII, so he received a Military send-off.
.
.

Grandpa's Casket

.
.
Bugle playing Taps

.
.
Saluting a Veteran

.
.
Giving the flag to the Widow

.
.
Grandma & Her Daughters
.
.
.
Eldest Daughter with Hubby & Son

.
.
Next Eldest with her three sons

.
.
.
The Twins

.
.
.
Fifth Daughter with her hubby, sons, & DIL
(their fourth daughter died at birth)

.
.
.
Sixth Daughter with her hubby, mom, & kids
.
.
.
My Siblings & I; lined up youngest to oldest
(my mom is the only daughter who had daughters. everyone else only had sons.)
.
.
.
Hubby & Uncle J on baby patrol
.
.
.
My Four Kids
.
.
.
Babycakes with his First Cousins at the Luncheon
.
.
After the funeral, burial, and luncheon, we headed back to my Mom's house to relax and recuperate. My sister MomBabe had flown in with her daugher Taylor. It was nice to see them. BabyCakes had fun playing with his cousin.
.
.
.
BabyCakes & Taylor playing at Grammy's House
.
.
Once we recovered a bit, we drove to the Chandler hospital to visit Hubby's friend. He had his heart surgery on Monday. He showed my kids his stapled up chest. It was pretty gross and sad to look at. Poor guy! :(
.
After the hospital visit, we stopped by Hubby's parents to say Hello, then drove back home.
.
.
Friday, April 3 Hubby still had work off. We all just spent a lazy day together.
.
.
Saturday, April 4 was General Conference and Baseball! Joe, Anne & Rose had games in the morning. I've put enough pictures on this post. I won't subject you to more of my kids playing baseball, but I did have to post a picture of this guy. He was a coach for the opposing team. See how he's kneeling at third-base? He had this deep and loud Military voice. And he used it to shout praise to his team and to Anne's team! It was so funny because it was such a contradiction of my expectations. Him yelling in a drill sargeant voice things like, "Good Run!", "Everyone's hitting the ball today!", and "You're such a great player!" was so wonderful to hear. Eve his directions and corrections were given with a positive lilt to his voice. I love when coaches are positive with their players and this guy was the epitome of Positive!
.
.

.
.
.
The rest of Saturday was spent watching General Conference. As was Sunday. Conference was very interesting this year. So many subtle warnings and pleadings. I'll have to really study my May issue of the Ensign... And that is the end of my Spring Break story. Phew!

2 comments:

Nancy Face said...

This was such a wonderful post! I'm so glad you shared the photos from your Grandpa's funeral. (Your son is hilarious, by the way!)

I wish there were MORE great coaches like that guy you talked about! :)

JrJr Moreys said...

I am sorry to here your Grandpa passed away. Please give a big hug and kiss to your grandma for me!