Sunday, May 3, 2009

Easter

Easter Sunday was a bit hectic for me. First, I had to get the bulletin made, printed, copied, and handed out. Second, I had to accompany Hubby singing in sacrament. Then I would get to spend two hours in Nursery. And before I did any of that I had to my four children clean and in their Easter clothes. That should have been quick and easy, but no. My girls didn't want their hair done. My boys didn't want to wear their dress pants. And on and on. By the time they were dressed and ready to go, everyone was grumpy, BabyCakes had fallen asleep, and we only had fifteen minutes left before church began. Yikes!
.
We had no time to take pictures at home. And knowing that I would have to run straight to the library to make copies, I asked Hubby if he would take pictures of the kids in their Easter outfits before church started. He quickly agreed.
.
As soon as we arrived at church, I jumped out of the van and reverently raced to the library. As the copies were printing, Anne & Rose walked into the library asking if they could help pass out the bulletins. I told them they were supposed to be with Dad out front getting their pictures taken. I ordered them out of the library and told them to go get their picture taken! Grumbling and murmuring, they left. Thankfully, the copies were finished just a minute later. I grabbed the stack, reverently raced to the chapel, dropped off the bulletins, then reverently raced to find Hubby and the kids. This is what I found:
.
.
.
Poor BabyCakes! Hubby was trying to pose the kids on the foyer couch. He woke BabyCakes up then tried to pose him. Not a very smart move on Hubby's part. When I found my little family, BabyCakes was having a complete meltdown. Pobrecito! I quickly grabbed up my baby, shot Hubby a dirty look, and told him that pictures were over! Unexpectedly, BabyCakes slapped my arm, cried Dada, and lunged out of my arms for his father. Sheesh. Luckily, Hubby was right next to me and caught the little guy before he crashed to the ground. Crazy baby. Hubby did manage to get one semi-decent shot before the baby melted. Please note that Joe is wearing a tie.
..
.
Since it was Easter, I decided nursery snacks should be a traditional Easter fare. Most people think of ham when they think of Easter. But they are wrong. Jesus did not eat ham after his resurrection. He ate fish and honeycomb. And since I like to be accurate in my portrayal of all things Christian, I decided to serve my nursery kids the same thing. I think they really appreciated my efforts. ;)

.
.
.
When church was over, I met my family at our van. Joe had chocolate all over his shirt and face. So pictures after church were a no-go. I figured that I would just get pictures the next Sunday. My girls were appalled that I would even suggest that they wear the same outfit that they had worn the previous Sunday. I told them they could change after I took a few pictures, but they wouldn't budge! And then they incited Joe and BabyCakes, who were in their Easter clothes, to riot. Argh! By the time I convinced the girls to just put on their Easter clothes, they were both crying and had red, blotchy faces. Not good for pictures. So I gave up and they cheered. Literally.
.
The next Sunday I had everyone's clothes lined up, minus Joe's tie. We couldn't find that anywhere! Hubby got the tri-pod and camera set up out front. I gave the girls their outfits. And Anne had the audacity to stomp her foot and refuse to wear the Easter outfit again. Her reason, she had worn it two weeks ago. It took everything in me not to throttle the girl! Instead I took a deep breath and tried a compromise. She would wear the Easter outfit for the picture then she could change clothes and wear whatever dress she wanted to church. Fortunately, this appeased her. Once everyone was dressed we gathered out front, Hubby set the timer, and behold. Our Family's Easter Picture! Hallelujah! It only took three weeks, several tantrums, many tears, and a heaping dose of stain remover. Thank goodness it's over.
.

.
.
On a lighter note, I took the kids to a city park last week. They had a Noah's Ark play toy. I laughed so hard when I saw it. After all the fits people have thrown over the years regarding seperation of church and state, demanding that any type of religious reminder on anything other than a church be taken down, I thought it was hilarious to find this particular religious story in a municipal park. Haha! I know that some people have tried to take the religion out of the Noah story and just make it about the cute little critters on the boat. I loved that this particular toy noted that "Noah was warned by God". I'm glad my little town still thinks it's okay to include wonderful stories like Noah in their parks.
.
.
.
And one final note. I found Joe's tie today. After tearing my house and van apart for two weeks, searching for that elusive clip-on, I had given up. But this morning, I went early to church to get the bulletins printed and there on the lost and found shelf was Joe's tie. Hooray! And no. I am not going to retake the Easter picture.
.
I also found Anne's Book of Mormon in the primary room. She lost that last week.
.

6 comments:

Sabra said...

We didn't get any Easter pictures this year. I was so bummed. It was just too hectic of a day. So sad. I saw the tie in the library. As I was reading you post, I was yelling, "I've seen the tie in the library!" I'm glad you found it.

Laurie said...

We didn't bother with Easter pictures, since they wore the same dresses they wore last year! :D They still fit!

Nancy Face said...

The mental picture of you reverently racing around the church was so vivid and fun, I thought that would be my favorite part!

Then I got to the fish and honeycomb...haha, GENIUS! :D

Kimmy said...

I like the triumphant picture!
And your fish and honeycomb!

Tina said...

Somebody already wrote about your "reverently racing!" That's what *I wanted to comment about. :P I liked it as a word choice, and an image.

Your family picture turned out cute, and that's kind of amazing considering the story behind it.

Last, but not least...Where, may I ask, is your current LOST post? I can't think for myself, you know ;)

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

Well, I have to skip the Lost posts since this is the first season I am behind on. It just isn't the same without having Brandon there so one day...

Loved your family picture. It really turned out wonderful despite all the drama. I wanted to take cute pics too, but no such luck yet. Plus, I am minus a hubby.

Thanks to your hubby again for taking Javan to the father/son campout. He had a lot of fun. He wanted to take one lego piece with him (which was a motorcycle) and I told him not to because it would get lost, but I left it up to him. It was brand new. The first thing he tells me when he walks in the door was that he lost the motorcycle. It fell between 2 rocks when they were hiking and no one could get it out. I thought it was pretty funny and Javan has always been my kid to tell on himself. Anyway, thanks to your hubby for adding to his memories...