Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Counting Down

Today marks eight days until my due date. Phew! There is not a lot of time left. I have been working hard during the last few weeks, trying to get a some projects completed before the baby arrives.
.
Which projects? Well, I'll tell you...
.
1) Write thank you notes to Hubby's coworkers. Those crazy people threw a baby shower for me. ME! A woman who is on her fifth pregnancy. I couldn't believe it. I told Hubby to let them know I already had everything I needed. But they insisted! And they really went all out. Their generosity and thoughtfulness were quite overwhelming. I guess Hubby must be doing something right at work to endear so many of his coworkers to him and his little family.
.
2) Make a baby quilt for Baby Kate. Hubby's best buddy and his wife had their first baby. It was quite the big event for their family to finally be blessed with a dear baby. Hubby was able to drive out for the blessing on Sunday. Of course he couldn't go empty-handed...
.
.
This quilt was one of the JoAnn projects I made up. I chose the colors specifically for baby Kate. However, the JoAnn layout was completely different. I didn't care for it at all. So I just saved the blocks I had made, then sliced them and put them together how I wanted. Isn't it cute?
.
.
Please note the machine quilting. I did it my very own self. I was nervous after my goof up with Cakes' quilt. But it turns out that I'm pretty good at free-motion quilting. It's just straight lines I have problems with. Hahaha!!
.
.
This is the back of the quilt. Isn't the material gorgeous! I've had this in my stash for thirteen years. I think Baby Kate is a worthy recipient of such a highly treasured print. ;)
.


.
3) Get the dogs licensed. Ey-yah! I totally spaced it. I was supposed to license them in January. But I'm used to dogs getting licensed once and staying licensed for life. This whole license your dog every year thing is not sticking in my brain. So off I went to a rabies clinic where I sat with Dash and Astro for an hour and a half waiting for our turn. Then I whisked those dogs down to the Humane Society to get their licenses. I of course had to pay a late fee, but whatever. They are now officially licensed.
.
4) Paint Master Bedroom and Master Bathroom. Hubby painted the bathroom for me. It took him three weeks. Why? Because the man is super-busy! The first weekend he had time to prep the walls, remove all the fixtures, and tape the areas he didn't want painted. The next weekend he painted the ceiling and cut in the walls. The third weekend he filled in with a roller. It was quite the production.
.
Hubby agreed to let me hire someone to paint our room. They painted it a gorgeous gray! They were in and out in a day...including prep, taping, cutting in, and filling in. They did a great job. The only problem is that Hubby has now decided that our bathroom should be the same gray color. He is planning on repainting it...eventually. ;)
.
5) Finish my Pay It Forward gifts. I have gone back and forth all year on what exactly to make. I finally decided to make Sudoko quilts for each lady. I finished each quilt by just tying them. I really wasn't in the mood to try quilting straight lines again. The ties turned out great though. They are approximately 49 inches by 49 inches. The color themes are Autumn, Summer, and Spring.
.
.
6) Celebrating!! Today's project is the best. Today my project is this guy. Three years ago, on Friday the Thirteenth, Cakes joined our family. I'm so happy that the new babe has waited until after his brother's birthday to be born, enabling me to spend this special day with my special guy.
.
.
Our activities thus far: cards and presents at breakfast, shopping for some cool new shirts, playing at Chuck E. Cheese's, hamburgers from McDonald's, lots of well wishes from family, the Happy Birthday song sung at least once every half hour, and many, many hugs and kisses. Still to come, a special birthday dinner and cake, cake, cake!
.
Which reminds me...who is the idiot who coined the phrase "You can't have your cake and eat it too"? What in the world were they talking about? The whole reason to bake a cake in the first place is to eat it! To enjoy it. I mean really. Who in their right mind bakes a cake and then lets it just sit there? Getting moldy! Yuck! What a waste. But not us. We are going to have a cake AND eat it too. Because that is the way it is supposed to be. ;)

3 comments:

Megan said...

All your quilts are sooooo beautiful! Your free motion quilting is really good.
Got your note- you're too sweet!
Have a great week!

Christina said...

Happy Birthday baby Cakes! I completely agree that cake is meant to be eaten. Enjoy!

I love my quilt! And the other's turned out just as beautiful. You are very talented.

Kimmy said...

Nice quilts! So colorful!
And happy birthday to your little guy!