Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

I am so hungry!

But I can't figure out what to eat. In November, when I visited the ENT's office and was diagnosed with more polyps in my sinuses, I was also sent for allergy testing.

I hate allergy testing.

It usually involves a lot of pricking and a very itchy back.

I was fortunate this time. Instead of the back pricks, they tested my blood. Hooray! I just had to sit still while a nice man drew a couple vials of blood.

The results came back a month ago. I had my consultation with the Allergist a week later.

The results, my friends, are not good.

Turns out I am allergic to:

Wheat

Oats

Corn

Soy

Yeast

The yeast is particularly bad. My Allergist recommended that I stay away from it all together. As for the grains, my Allergist suggested that I avoid them for a few months then add them back to my diet one at a time, keeping a couple weeks in between each addition to be sure that there are no adverse effects.

That's right. I am supposed to cut out Wheat and Oats and Corn and Soy!  Do you understand???

That means I can't eat Bread, Pasta, Cookies, Cake, Donuts, Rolls, White sauce (it uses flour in the roue), Cream of Wheat, Bagels, Oatmeal, Tamales, Tortillas, Chips, or Tofu.

Now, I am allergic to a lot of things. I have known this for years and years. Dust, molds, trees, pollens, these things practically kill me a couple times each year. There are foods I avoid because they set my throat to itching and swelling and make it difficult for me to breathe. But never have I thought that I was allergic to the grains. I don't know if I've ever even been tested for them.

My Hubby, trying to make me feel better, said, "Well, You can always just eat an apple."

But no, No I can't. Because it turns out I'm allergic to apples too.

COME ON!!!

Who is allergic to apples?  Isn't there something unlawful about that? I mean, it's completely un-American to be allergic to apples. Right?  RIGHT??

So, I'm on a restricted diet.

I've put it off and put it off, but it can't be put on any longer. I just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Still, it's only for a few months. Just until my body resets itself. Then I should be able to add the grains back in.

Until then, it looks like I will be eating a lot of Rice.

Wish me luck. I am seriously going to need it.

Oh! And wish me some Will-Power while you're at it.  I'm going to need loads of that.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go eat a pickle for breakfast. I don't think I'm allergic to those. :(

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, that sounds just dreadful!
How about chocolate? I find that a chocolate bar makes a great breakfast...or lunch...or snack...or dinner...:)
Good luck!

Christina said...

I would starve to death. Everything you listed is pretty much what I live on. And I have never heard of anyone being allergic to apples. That is crazy!!!!