Friday, January 22, 2010

There's No Pleasing Some People

One of the things that is great about knowing the sex of your child is the ability to immediately refute "clever" comments made about your belly. For example:
.
I'm walking in a store, minding my own business. A man comes up to me, looks me up and down, and says, "You're sure carrying wide. You must be having a girl."
.
I did not respond by saying to the man, "You are carrying extra wide too. You must be having a girl too." Because that would have been rude.
.
I just said, "Nope. You guessed wrong. I'm having a boy."
.
To which the lady who was with the guy gave him a sharp elbow jab to the rib.
.
I'm not sure if people think they're being clever or if they are trying to subtly tell me I'm fat. I've had comments that could go either way.
.
One lady just "knew" I was having twins. Nope, sorry. Just one baby in there. (actually I'm not sorry. I'm really, really happy that I'm not having twins. twins are a ton of work!)
.
Another lady really looked me over, commented on several different parts of my body being large then declared that I'm having a boy. She was right. But did she have to say my rear was "quite pronounced". I mean, I know it is, but you don't have to point it out.
.
And here I was, thinking I looked pretty good. Haha.
.
The ironic thing is I don't like comments stating that I'm "thin" either. They drive me nuts more than the chunky comments.
.
I have a wonderful lady that I visit teach. She works with the babies and mommas at our hospital, so she's seen a few pregos in her time. I ran into her at a store a couple days ago. Her comment, "Oh! You're finally starting look pregnant. You've been so thin for so long."
.
My response, "I've looked pregnant for months now! I'm huge!!" I then pulled my shirt taut to prove my point. She just smiled indulgently and quietly agreed with me. Haha! She knows better than to argue with an emotional pregnant lady. But she had a look in her eye that let me know she still thought I looked thin and great. I was so perturbed. Haha! What a goofy thing to get upset about.
.
This is a picture of my belly from a few weeks ago. I usually hate these pictures, but that's because my neck usually grows thicker as the size of my belly grows larger. This time, so far, no double or triple chins. Hooray!! ;)
.
Oh Yeah! I almost forgot to mention...I got a perm. The hormones have been making my hair super limp. Need proof? Just look at the pictures from Anne's baptism. The hair just clings to my head and looks so thin. The perm has made my hair look so much better. Although, I will never go back to the lady who gave me the perm. She burned my neck, scalp, and forehead, which is funny because I went to her in the first place because her salon advertised "expert perms". ;)

5 comments:

Christina said...

I think you look perfectly pregnant. I always hated all the comments people feel inclined to tell you when you're pregnant too.

Megan said...

Well, now I'm afraid to leave a comment! :)JK


BTW-I think you look just great!

The Denham Family said...

You need to slap that lady that burned you! I'll go in and pretend I'm with the state board and pretend to shut them down. You look hot!

Kimmy said...

I like your perm! and if you want a fabulous reference for hair-care for the next time, Shami is the greatest in this town!
Personally I like when people try to tell me how "little" I look when I am preggo and feeling/looking like a whale- sometimes a little lie just makes my day. ;) So I'm curious as to who you VT is....I need to be friends with her!

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Um, you look AMAZING.

I look more pregnant than you do and HELLO, NO UTERUS.