Sunday, November 22, 2009

Choosing to be Happy

I am feeling much better today than I was on Friday. So, how did I turn it around? Simply put, I chose to be happy. It was tough, but I did it. I sought out those things that lighten my load and make my heart glad.
.
1) I vented. Writing the previous post, airing my feelings, helped immensely. I am a person who will dwell on things and let them fester until I explode. So writing that post was a good first step.
.
2) I caught up on my friends' blogs. It was nice to read about them and see pictures of their families. One gal even had a picture from her latest ultrasound...showing her baby girl! I was excited to see that, though a tad jealous. My ultrasound tech guy only gave me a picture of my baby's boy parts, not exactly suitable for sharing on the Internet. ;)
.
3) I played silly games with my boys.
.
4) I watched Miss Q get ready for a night out with a bunch of great girls from Church. This is her first group of Good, Kind, Loving friends. Her enthusiasm was contagious! I was happy that she had made these friends all on her own. And proud of her for stepping outside of her comfort zone.
.
5) I talked to Rose & Anne about their hopes and dreams. I am a planner by nature. Listening to other peoples plans makes me happy. And boy do they have some big dreams! It was fun to sit with them and teach them about setting small goals which will lead them in the direction they wish to go.
.
6) I got my life-planning book out and looked at the next ten years. It's hard not to feel better when your looking at a calendar that charts each child's future baptism date, entrance to Young Women or Young Men, entrance into Middle School, then High School, and eventually college. I know that might sound overwhelming to some people, but remember, I'm a planner. I love seeing life mapped out, seeing the big picture of mine and my family's lives.
.
7) I read silly stories and silly blog entries. I also perused the "People of Walmart" blog. I usually find that thing hilarious. This was no exception. By the time I caught up, my heart was feeling much lighter. I just hope that I never see a picture of myself on that site! That would really put me in a sad place.
.
I did many other things over the weekend. This morning I woke up feeling good. And even though I had a busy Sabbath, I still feel good. Hooray!

3 comments:

Christina said...

I'm glad your feeling better. That People of WalMart blog is hilarious. Sometimes I wonder if they aren't doing it on purpose, in hopes of making it on the blog.

Another site I find pretty funny is cakewrecks.com. I don't know if you've seen it but they daily post pictures of "professional" cakes that are incredibly ridiculously bad. Next time you are sad, you could try that one too.

Kimmy said...

Wow- what a frustrating day you had. Some cops are just so ridiculous! So sorry! Glad you chose to be happy!

Tina said...

Writing is such good medicine sometimes. I have sorted many things out that way....

I hope you are still feeling good.