Thursday, February 4, 2010

Valentine's for Grown-Ups

I went to a planning meeting this morning for our Stake's Relief Society Celebration. I am helping with the humanitarian aid room. It is going to be fun!
.
On my way home from the meeting, I turned on the radio. As I was scanning through the channels I heard the funniest advertisement. The commercial began by saying that giving flowers or candy to your sweetie fro Valentine's Day is, basically, boring and overdone. Instead, you need to get your sweetie something really special. Something that will let her know just how much you care.
.
And just what is that special something they were advertising?
.
I thought it would be jewelry or a dinner date.
.
Nope.
.
The special something to get your Grown-Up sweetheart...A Vermont Teddy Bear!
.
That's right. A teddy bear.
.
I thought maybe I wasn't understanding the commercial correctly. Maybe the commercial was really telling you to buy a lingerie-style teddy. That type of gift seemed more inline with grown-up tastes to me. I came home and looked the company up online. No misunderstandings on my part. They were advertising actual Teddy Bears. To give to your adult sweetie. Hahaha!
.
To their commercial, I respond: I am not five. I am a grown-up woman. A WOMAN!
.
In all honesty, I don't ever remember having a teddy bear. A doll, yes. Never a teddy bear. And I received that doll before I entered kindergarten.
.
Rose has a teddy bear. She was quite enamored of it for many years. Rose is ten now and yes, the bear still has a special place on her bed. It holds sentimental value for her. But if she received a teddy bear at this point in her life, I think she would be a bit offended by the immaturity of the gift.
.
So....if a ten-year old thinks she is too old for a teddy bear gift, do you really think a Grown Woman would be happy to receive one??
.
Haha!
.
Personally, I'd prefer the candy or flowers. ;)

No comments: