Wednesday, February 17, 2010

LOST is looking for a few Good Men

**Lost Spoilers Ahead. Proceed With Caution.**
.
.
.
.
.
.
Hooray! A good episode! It had tons of information and the story didn't drag at all. I'm so glad. :)
.
1) John has the worst luck ever! His van lift getting stuck, falling out of the chair onto the lawn, and the sprinklers coming on was sad to watch. But when Helen comes running out of that pretty house, I was shocked! Didn't she leave him after he chose to find his father? I'm pretty sure that she walked away when John wouldn't let the past go. And then finding out that they are getting married and that she wants to invite his dad, that was crazy. I thought I had heard that wrong. Hubby assures me that I didn't. What was that about? Why in the world would John invite his dad to his wedding? His dad is a nut job that tried to kill him. Or did I just imagine that??? And what is he doing engaged to Helen in the first place? Where did that come from? When did they reconcile? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to see Katey Sagal as Helen. I just want all the juicy details. :)
.
2) How fun is it that John runs into so many people who were on Oceanic 11. Jack at the lost luggage area. Hurley at his job site. Rose at the temp agency. Ben at school. It was such fun to see how they would have met if the flight hadn't crashed.
.
HURLEY: I loved how John, in his stubbornness, parked in a regular spot, then got super annoyed that someone had parked next to him. I loved how Hurley, in classic form, apologized, laughed, and tried to make things better. Hurley is just a great guy.
.
ROSE: The woman is awesome! I don't want to jinx her (or Bernard) so I hate to say that she is one of my favorites. (remember how all my favorites end up dying?)
.
I love that she is the supervisor. How funny was it that one of the interview questions was "What kind of animal would you describe yourself as?" Hilarious! I love that Rose came in, cut through the bull, and dealt with the problem. Her interaction with John was fantastic. When he stubbornly insisted on a job in construction, I just rolled my eyes thinking Rose might try to coddle him. Nope. She told him to get past the denial and just live. Fantastic!
.
BEN: His little rant about the coffee filter just fit his personality so well. I could totally see him like that if he had never been to the Island. He was abrupt and a bit disconcerting, but again, I could totally see him as that if he hadn't gone to the Island.
.
3) The clicking of the BSM moving around the jungle is unsettling. It was interesting to get a slice of his viewpoint though, see how he moves around, cuts in and out. I found his movements a bit jarring. When he appeared as Locke and went to cut down the canvas bag, I never imagined that Richard would be in it. I should have seen that coming, but the shape of the bag and the way it was tied made me think more of a Rousseau trap then a prisoner holding cell.
.
I thought we would learn more about Richard at this point. Nope. The man is still a mystery. I'm glad he got away from BSM safely and I appreciate that he tried to warn James. The episode that finally reveals some of his back story will be great! (I hope...)
.
4) Candidates! What a great twist. It appears that Jacob knew he would eventually need a replacement and so put a plan into action. I wonder though, if the candidates could also be potential replacements for BSM... The remaining candidates are 8-Reyes, 15-Ford, 16-Jarrah, 23-Shepherd, and 42-Kwon. I thought it interesting that BSM doesn't know which Kwon Jacob chose. We know that Jacob touched Jin. Did he touch Sun too? I thought he did... The exclusion of any other females from the candidate list makes me think that Jin is 42-Kwon and not Sun.
.
5) I love that James saw right through the BSM's charade. Everyone else just assumed it was Locke. They really didn't know John at all, did they? And the way James knew it wasn't Locke, SWEET! "John was scared, You're not." That was SO COOL!!! Another reason I like James/Sawyer so much. :)
.
I also love Sawyer's answer to BSM at the end. BSM asked if James was ready to get off the Island. James response: "Hell yeah." I'm probably jinxing him too, but James has really become one of my favorite characters!
.
6) Who is the little boy? When BSM first saw him, he looked creepy standing there with his palms outstretched. Later when BSM and James saw him, he looked like a normal kid. And how fun is it that James can see him, but not Richard. Must be a candidate thing.
.
What are the rules? And who can BSM not kill? James? Richard? Or is he referring to Jacob or someone else? BSM was pretty upset with the little kid telling him what to do. He seems intent on finding a way to kill whoever it is.
.
7) What is BSM recruiting for? I think this might go back to my theory that BSM is looking for a replacement for himself. In many myths and legends, a magical creature who is trapped can be released if someone else takes their place. Of course, they can never find someone willing to be trapped in their stead, so they usually resort to trickery. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Whether James will be the one tricked into taking BSM's place or if another will...
.
Of course, BSM did try to recruit Richard first, so that might throw my whole theory right out the window. But this is LOST we're talking about. This show could go any way! :)
.
8) Did anyone else laugh when BSM revealed that the most important question was "Why are you on the Island?" That one made me giggle. I thought the question would go existential, but not in regards to the Island. Many people consider the most important questions Why are we Here, Where Did We Come From, and Where are We Going. I've studied philosophy and religion, so I just assumed the most important question would be one of those or a variant. Silly me. I forgot we are in the Lost universe. OF COURSE, the most important question would be Why are you on the Island. ;)
.
9) Back to the gang on the beach, Cakes (my two-year-old) chose the moment when the lady Protector (sorry, I can't remember her name) spoke to come into the room laughing because he was supposed to be in bed and thought he was being sneaky. He wasn't. :(
.
If I heard correctly, and chances are I didn't, it sounded like she said BSM is stuck in the form of Locke. That's good. Now he won't be able to appear as others...like Christian Shepherd or Ben's daughter.
.
10) The eulogy Ben delivered was hilarious. John was a better man than me and I'm sorry I murdered him. Hahahaha!!! Ben was deadpan while delivering the lines, which made it even more hilarious. Then Frank's muttering...cracked me up! I didn't hear all of his mutterings (since Cakes was still trying to break into the room to watch Lost with us), but I heard enough to understand the sentiment. Hahahaha!!
.
Well, enough of my rambling. I need to get back to real life. On a baby note, the little guy has decided to stretch himself out as much as possible in utero. It feels like his hands are up in my ribs while his feet are kicking down near my pubic bone. Aaah. The joys of being pregnant. :)

2 comments:

Crunchyconmommy said...

GREAT episode, I thought. I'm not sure that I believe that Jacob wrote the names up on the cave wall, though. I think that room "belongs" to BSM. The scales on the table suggest justice, and on more than one occasion, he has been referred to as "the one that judges us". I loved the "joke" of taking the white stone off of the scales and throwing it into the ocean.

I think that you are right about the candidates being possible replacements. And while I wouldn't say that BSM is Satan, per se, he is a deceiver of the same ilk; tell ten truths if it will get you to believe one big lie. I think he's telling us a lot of truths and half-truths, and I'm really curious to see which things turn out to be accurate.

As for the boy, I'm not sure who he is (Jacob? BSM? Aaron?) but I think he's maybe telling BSM that he can't murder James, since he's a candidate. That maybe once a person is "in play" they can't be touched outright. I actually forgot last night about the Widmore/Ben conversation about the rules. I was only thinking of the Jacob/BSM conversation on the beach (about loopholes). If Ben and Widmore have been "claimed" by opposite sides, which is which??

Oh, and as for John in the B-timeline, I think it's just like Hugo being lucky and successful; it's a different universe. Maybe his father isn't even a conman. (I'm looking forward to seeing James in this timeline, because I'm not convinced that he's a conman here, either!) And as for Ben, maybe he never went to the island at all, and this is just the guy he would have been if he had grown up "normally". After all, if the "incident" caused the island to end up at the bottom of the ocean, Ben wouldn't have survived, I don't think.

Kimmy said...

I LOVED this episode too! I didnt want it to end. I am curious as to what James will do- if he will con the evil locke dude or become his apprentice. ;)